Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Thing with Feathers


https://www.facebook.com/signedsealeddeliveredtv

To Whom It May Concern,

Sometimes a job in marketing prompts a person to get familiar with current events, even if she generally prefers to avoid news that only serves to strike fear and breed feelings of depression and helplessness. But perhaps it's a matter of balance.

It's good to be aware of what's going on in the world. To not forget that others are suffering, in need of aid and our prayers.

And yet, we need to be reminded that even in the worst of situations, God does not abandon us. Miracles do happen in real life, but occasionally fiction steps in to bring that truth to mind. To help focus our attention on that "thing with feathers": hope.

So this letter is one of gratitude to the Hallmark Channel show, Signed, Sealed, Delivered (and to my friend Rissi for making me want to give it a try):

Thank you for Episode 1 (Time to Start Livin'), which reminded me of a grandma's love and how precious those memories with my grandparents are.

Thank you for Episode 2 (To Whom It May Concern), which reminded me that even in the horror of war, hope can bloom and heroes can be born.

Thank you for Episode 3 (Soulmates), which reminded me that a love delayed is not always a love departed - and words of love don't need to be romantic in nature in order to touch our hearts.

Thank you for Episode 4 (The Masterpiece), which reminded me that even though parents and their children can have very different dreams for their lives, a bit of understanding can go a long way.

Thank you for Episode 5 (The Edge of Forever), which reminded me that a lack of communication can bring about long-term damage, but honesty and forgiveness can ease years of heartache.

And thank you for the episodes I have yet to watch. I look forward to each happy, teary reminder of "the thing with feathers."

Sincerely Yours,
Amber

4 comments:

Rissi said...

Dear Amber,

This IS beautiful. Thank *you* for writing this post and reminding me of so many reasons why I heart this show.

It's really the best balance of "fairytale" and genuine sincerity since not everything always works out for the best - sometimes the writers take a "risk," which is always lovely too since yes, it reminds us that life isn't always happy.

Fabulous post, friend! :)

Amber Holcomb said...

Dear Rissi,

That is so sweet of you to say! I'm really glad you liked the post. And I'm so grateful you inspired me to check out the show! I agree that it has a wonderful balance of fantasy and sincerity, as well as humor and depth. And yes, I like that they don't always wrap everything up perfectly, making us think while still reminding us of hope. :)

Thank you for stopping by!

~Amber

Kara said...

Okay. Now you've really convinced me I need to watch this show ASAP!!! (As if I wasn't convinced already. ;) And this is such a cool post. From the intriguing title which drew me in, to the list of thanks, and the overall hope-filled message! It just made me happy. And ready to watch the show! :D

Amber Holcomb said...

Kara,

You totally should! I really adore the show, and I've started going through it again. I'd love for there to be more than 10 episodes...but at least they're 10 awesome, heartwarming ones!

Thank you for the sweet words about my post. :) So glad it made you happy (and more eager to watch the show!). The title/quote is from an Emily Dickinson poem, and it's a line that Oliver mentions in one of the episodes, I believe. I just love the hopeful message of the series!

Happy watching, my friend!

~Amber